Monday, January 19, 2009

I Have Finally Read Twilight!

So, after hearing so much hype about Twilight I decided it was time I read the book. Chris got it for me for my birthday and I got the second book for Christmas. I have read them both and I thought I'd stir up some opinions in my comment section by voicing my opinion! (:

I have to say, I was really unimpressed as far as the writing goes. I'd heard that the series is really popular among high school kids and I could tell it really was written at an easy level and to their mentality. It is really a straight story line. Not a whole lot to the plot, just the one brief showdown in Arizona. The whole thing is written from Bella's point of view and I found that a bit tiresome. Plus, I am really annoyed that she is so obsessed with Edward. It goes so contrary to what I hope to teach my daughters about guys. You just can't let them take over your life. She went into such a depression when he left. I just kept thinking, "Get a grip!"

Shouldn't we teach our daughters not to let a guy define who we are or depend on a guy to feel happy? She didn't begin to emerge from her depression until she had renewed a relationship with the other guy who is in love with her. On top of that, she is willing to give up everything and become a vampire for him? It reminds me of Hercules. It always drove me crazy that he gave up immortality for a girl. Isn't our eternal life and exaltation most important? Don't we want to marry someone we can share that with, not someone who will take it away?

I know that I sound so unromantic. I get the romanticism involved, that they love each other so much they are willing to give up so much for the other person. Love is a very powerful thing. I am usually a sucker for romantic stuff, but this one just goes too far for me.

That said, I did read the second book--though I found myself speed reading a bit to get to the main points. (A lot of it just reminds me of reading a long-winded diary.) I will admit that I am interested to see how it turns out--mostly because I hope she redeems herself and finds inner peace apart from Edward. I'm just not sure I want to sift through all the repetitive stuff to see what happens.

So, now it's your turn. Tell me why you agree, or most likely, disagree with me and why! I am curious what all of you think!!!