A few weeks ago I had one of those days where I was reminded how often it is the simple things in life that make our kids happy. Here are three examples I thought of:
1) I had gone to Target and picked up some dixie cups for the bathroom. I usually buy them at Costco, but decided to get them now instead of wait for my next trip. Well, these cups had a "new" and different print --brown and pink polka dots-- and the kids noticed. That night when the kids went upstairs to brush their teeth I heard Courtney excitedly call out, "McKayla, Mom got new cups for the bathroom!!!!" McKayla came rushing in to see and said, "Wow! They are so pretty. BRIANNA WE GOT NEW CUPS!" It was a BIG day!
2) A week later Courtney and I actually made that Costco trip only to have to return again later that evening with the whole family to exchange a large purchase. She wasn't too excited until she realized, "Hey, will we get the big cart?" (She means the flatbed--the one I dread I will need for my regular purchases before long!) She loves to ride on the flatbed and always asks me to get one. But, I can't with the baby. Anyway, when her sisters started to complain about the shopping trip she reassured them, "It will be fun, we get to ride on the big cart!" They immediately cheered up!
3) At some point last year the girls were all in need of new underwear. Strange as it seems, somehow the Easter Bunny has brought new underwear for the girls several years in a row. Well, last year it became clear that we couldn't wait clear until Easter. So, I mentioned to the girls that we were going to have to go to Wal-mart and get new underwear. Everyday from then on they would ask if TODAY was the day they would get to go "underwear shopping!" After about a week the blessed day came and that morning my girls greeted me with cheers when I told them we were going to buy underwear! Believe it or not they each carried their prize package around the store with them while we collected the other needed items!
Diner en Blanc
6 years ago


