Since we started dating, Chris and I have never been apart for more than 5 days. So when he told me he was going to have to go to Samoa for 2 weeks I was feeling really sad! I knew it would go by relatively quick with the kids in school and busy with their activities, but that is such a long time away!
My two other posts describe the two major events that took place while he was gone. But this post will be more sappy....Though, he has been home a week now, so it is harder for me to "wax eloquent" when the feelings have passed.
Having him gone for so long was so hard! I'm used to 2 or three nights, but this seemed like forever. The girls kept asking when he'd be home and really missed him too. What really made it hard was the lack of communication we had. Normally we talk on the phone several times a day and then end with a lengthy conversation in the evening after the kids are in bed. Then we'll hang up and one of us will call again to say good night right before we turn out the light and go to sleep. So, even though he's gone we stay really connected.
This time, with the cost of cell phone use and the time difference we really couldn't talk much. It was always short and in the middle of Chris' workday. So, he'd inevitably be surrounded by a bunch of people. I'm sure you've all experienced this. You just can't have a normal conversation when you know a bunch of people are listening.
The whole time my heart just ached so much to have him gone. He'd send me little text messages and stuff that made it obvious he felt the same. I'm glad I can say we still feel this way after 11 years of marriage. On Friday, he was due home about 11pm. I stayed up watching movies while I waited. When I finally heard the garage door opening I ran outside and we gave each other the biggest greeting. I couldn't stop the tears, I was so happy to have him home! That complete feeling of love and joy and relief was just too much. (Especially when I knew that he was feeling the same way.) Just a joyous reunion. I'm so lucky to be married to him. He is my best friend and such a wonderful husband and father. Life just isn't the same when he's not around.
Diner en Blanc
6 years ago


